Shipston High School is proud of its inclusive ethos and its commitment to each and every pupil. Our dedication to ensuring that our young people leave the school as independent and responsible citizens means that our work supports and fulfils the school’s duty to promote British Values, as defined by the DFE document ‘Promoting fundamental British values through SMSC in schools’. The document can be accessed here.
Shipston High School aims to:
- enable students to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence
- enable students to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England;
- encourage students to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely; enable students to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in England
- further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling students to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures;
- encourage respect for other people;
- encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England
The school addresses these areas through the curriculum. A range of subjects, including History, English, Business Studies, PSHE and RE, directly teach key aspects of the values agenda. The pastoral work of the school is also central to developing pupils’ awareness of their rights and responsibilities. The popular Shipston Award proactively encourages good citizenship for all pupils. Whole school events further add to pupils’ understanding of democracy and respect for other peoples’ opinions.
Pupils are encouraged to regard people of all faiths, races and cultures with respect and tolerance. Visitors to Shipston High School often note the peaceful and collaborative atmosphere, and the good relationships between pupils and staff. The school actively promotes the Shipston Spirit; the very essence of fundamental British Values.
If you are interested in further details of how the school delivers its social and moral education, please contact the school.